Hey Friends! It feels like a long time since my last post. Honestly, I'm pleased to report that there has been very little to share. Our first 10 days in Maintenance have passed without issue. Fionn seems to feel great, and we have been enjoying the longer leash that this phase allows us. I hardly knew what to do with myself on Monday when there was no clinic. Don't worry, I figured it out pretty quickly. I dropped Fionn at school and headed to the gym! (We decided to keep our sitter coming on a weekly basis even though our clinic visits are now monthly). So, yeah, I am a big fan of Maintenance so far.
We are also looking forward to several trips we have this Spring, including Minnesota in a few weeks to see the Crimmins Clan. We also have a trip to Hot Springs, Virginia for Fionn's Spring Break in early April. AND, last but not least, we are going to DISNEY WORLD in late April!! We are so excited. The trip is Fionn's wish through the Make-A-Wish program, so we are fully expecting it to be amazing.
In terms of Maintenance, the only challenge so far has been timing. Fionn takes oral chemo every single night. Yep. Every. Single. Night. It also has to be taken on an empty stomach (ideally 2 hours after dinner). This wouldn't be a huge problem except that Fionn has been completely exhausted by the time 7 pm rolls around every night. He desperately needs a nap but refuses to take one like just about every 4-year-old in America. As a result, it has been a bit of a logistical nightmare trying to feed him dinner at a super-early hour so that he can still get to bed before he totally melts down.
But these are small potatoes, friends. Small potatoes. We are grateful to be worrying about such insignificant annoyances when it comes to Fionn right now. There are so many parents in our Cancer World who are worried about so very much more. Our hearts and thoughts are with them all the time. All the time.
I will leave you with a few cute pics of the boys. The first is of Fionn with our Favorite Nurse of All Time, Kristen. We ran into her at the cafeteria after clinic last week. It was so joyful to see her and share the news that Fionn was just promoted to Maintenance. She has been a very special person on our journey. We appreciate and love you, Kristen!
And our little Dex. Here he is climbing the stairs with his new backpack which he received as a Christmas gift from Mary Lewis Grow (his great-godmother since her son, Lewis, is Dex's godson). Dex loves to put all his worldly goods in his teeny little backpack and follow Brother wherever he goes.
I will pop on again when I feel confidant that I can write a post without boring you to tears (as I might have done with this post!).
I admit... I'm addicted to your blog. But if the longer breaks during Maintenance mean good news... I'm willing to go through some mild withdrawal until I acclimate to the new schedule. ;-)
ReplyDeleteSo - how many times have you been asked to be Fairy Foster Mother (just for the later part of April)? JK. Seriously - I cannot wait to see you in a few weeks and hope you have a fantastic time on each and every one of your upcoming trips! Love you!!