This whole experience has crystallized the fact that we still have a long road ahead. This journey is far from over.
Fionn's counts have continued to drop. His ANC dropped from 450 yesterday to 250 today. His hemoglobin dropped from 7.6 to 7.0. As a result, Fionn is currently receiving a blood transfusion. His platelets are also dropping slightly each day, but so far they are still within the normal limits. The good news is that his fever is gone, and his chest is clear. Fionn's doctor thinks that he has a virus which is responsible for these drops in his counts. She thinks his numbers will continue to drop further before coming back up.
As a result, we are looking at at least 2 more nights of inpatient stay, possibly more. Fionn's doctor needs to see his ANC and hemoglobin reverse its path and stay that way for at least a day.
I have to admit that this news was a real drag. Not just the inpatient stay itself and the scrambling for Deaglan care that immediately followed our realization that we will still be here at the hospital next week. But the whole big picture of it all. Fionn is still sick. We are still in the weeds with this crap. We really can't get too comfortable. Not yet anyway.
And I have to admit I was trying desperately to get comfortable. Signing Fionn up for swim lessons and soccer. Making travel plans for the Spring and Summer. Making all kinds of play dates for Fionn. All things we felt like we couldn't do until Maintenance. And now I fear that I was being too hasty.
Hopefully, the fog will lift again and life will look different in a week or so. But as it stands right now, we are feeling a bit thrown off balance.
But Fionn, as always, is doing great. Great spirits, killer appetite, and lots of energy. Here is a picture from this morning. Dr. Fionn was "cleaning my port" with the dental hygiene sticks. I'll have you know that he was very gentle.
No comments:
Post a Comment