Friday, November 14, 2014

The Beauty of Boring

I realized today that the absolute best thing you can ever hear from a doctor about your child is "boring."  Especially when it refers to a little mass behind your little boy's ear. 

See, the funny thing about having a kid with cancer is that it makes you take a raised bump on your other kid's head a lot more seriously.  Conor and I had both noticed a mass on Dex's head behind his right ear.  It is about the size of a marble.  Not red or painful to the touch.  But there.  Definitely there.  I met with his new pediatrician (who I LOVE!! Hooray!) last Tuesday for the first time, and I asked him about the bump.  He assured me that it was probably a lymph nod or possibly a pre-cancerous cyst but nothing to worry about.  "You might want to get an ultrasound on it at some point," he said with a shrug.

Then I told him about Fionn.  And we both decided that it was best to get it checked out right away.

I took Dex to the imaging center today for the ultrasound.  Oh holy cow, getting an ultrasound on your 18-month-old son's head is quite the experience.  Deaglan was having NONE of it.  Crying, kicking, wriggling away.  And I, of course, brought nothing to help matters.  I even left my damn phone in the car, so I couldn't even let him mess around with that.  I mean, seriously?  Shouldn't I be an expert at distracting my child from medical procedures at this point?  Sheesh!

Finally, the technician got the images she needed and took them to the doctor.  He came in a few minutes later, smiling and cheerful.  Looked at the lump himself for a minute and declared that it was just a "boring" lymph nod.  Nothing to worry about.  "Just forget about it," he said jovially.

Boring.  What a wonderful word.  Man, I need a little more boring in my life.  Excuse me, another order of boring please!

Sorry, we're all out of boring here.
On the less boring front, we are still in the hospital with Fionny, just waiting for his ANC to come up. It was at a less-than-amazing 10 today, so we probably have a few more days in front of us.  However, his fever is totally gone, and our boy is feeling GREAT!  He is full of energy and attitude -- just ask his Auntie Erin who was with him ALL DAY today so I could take Dex to his ultrasound appointment!  Erin has so incredibly helpful to our family this past week.  I really get a little verclempt when I think about how wonderful she has been to us.  From taking care of the boys to helping unload the car when it's jammed full of crap from the old house, she has just been great.  Most recently, she changed her flight so that she could stay with us through the weekend and help out while Fionny is in the hospital.  We love you, Erin.

I also have to give a shout-out to Clarissa Harris and MJ Silvulich who assisted me today with the biggest logistical nightmare of my life.  One kid in the hospital, another kid with a doctor appointment in Rockville, and a new couch being delivered -- all at the same time!  Ack!  Short of cloning myself which is apparently STILL not an option, it was just too much to handle for one person.  Thank you, dear friends, for making today possible.  We love you so much.

The couch that MJ built (or at least opened the door to receive)
Built-ins beside the new couch.  I arranged these books according to color.  Yes, I am that person now.
I also have to brag on Fionny's new school, Cedar Lane Nursery School.  (Side note: HUGE thank you to Heather Bruskin for telling me about the school in the first place).  We have only been attending CLNS for a couple of weeks.  I mean, honestly Fionny has been there for 8 days of class.  Eight.  Yet their response to his hospitalizations these past few weeks has been off the charts amazing.  Food deliveries, offers to help with Deaglan, videos and drawings from his classmates.  I am so truly touched and awed by the compassion of these people.  These new friends.  And I am ever-so-thankful to have landed in this wonderful place. 

Thank you all for loving us and holding us in your hearts.  We get by with a little help from our friends, we really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment