Monday, April 20, 2015

Getaway

Hi folks!  Sorry it's been awhile since my last update.  Rest assured, we have had a fabulous 10 days since our hospitalization ended at UVA.  Fionn has felt great.  His appetite has been revved up again, his energy is through the roof, and he has been in a great mood.  Plus, there has been no sign of any chicken pox or other sort of virus with Deaglan.  Hooray, hooray, hooray!  Also, Fionn's hair is growing back.  It's so sweet to see that beautiful blond fuzz growing back on his head.  Of course, Fionn says that he wants to shave his hair off again once it grows back.  He is concerned that no one will recognize him if he has hair.  Ha!  That kid, I swear.  I told him that I need to see those beautiful blond curls in their full glory again, and then we can talk.  I am so hoping he changes his mind in the next couple of months!  Please help a mother out and compliment the dickens out of that hair on his head when you next see him! 

In addition to Fionn feeling great, the beautiful Spring weather has made for some wonderful outdoor time in the past week.  It has been so nice to let the boys run around on the playground again.  Boy, they needed it!  And so did I!  Here is a pic Dex's babysitter, Valya, snapped last week of our little tree hugger right before they hit the playground.  As she said, "It's too cute not to share."

Yes, he will be getting a haircut this week.
A lovely week was capped off by an even lovelier weekend.  My dad and Julie arrived last Thursday for a 4 day visit.  It was so wonderful to see them and show them around our new neighborhood a bit. 


After some QT with Dad and Julie on Thursday and Friday morning, Conor and I headed out on our own adventure on Friday afternoon.  Time alone!  Just the two of us!  We headed 2 hours away to the Omni at Bedford Springs in PA.  We had an absolutely wonderful time.  Beautiful weather, a morning at the spa, and plentiful drinks and food.  We were in heaven!


Part of the reason why we were able to relax so much was knowing what great hands our boys were in back at home.  Thank you so much, Jim and JuJu, for taking such great care of our little dudes!


Now Fionn and I are at the clinic for our monthly checkup.  Monthly checkup -- ha, what a joke.  Hopefully, we will get there soon. As it is, we have seen so many doctors since our last scheduled appointment here!  But so it goes.  Today Fionn received Vincristine through his port.  His ANC is 1041 today, so he was cleared to begin his nightly oral chemo.  However, his docs did decide to cancel his steroid burst that was scheduled for Monday-Friday of this week.  I am so relieved.  Although steroids are an important part of Fionn's treatment because they destroy any blast cells that are even thinking of multiplying, they also make him more vulnerable to viruses.  Giving his body one more month to recover from the chicken pox virus before pumping him with steroids again sounds good to me.

I'll report back when there is something to report!  Our Disney Make-a-Wish Trip is coming up next week, so if I don't report back before then...I'll definitely write a post when we return, complete with lots of pictures from a hopefully very fun, fever-free trip!

1 comment:

  1. Big shout out to Jim and Julie! Woot-woot!!
    Dex looks like he's grown a foot since I last saw him! Must be haircut season... can't wait to see his new trim. :D
    Fionn looks ready to take on the world with his bike and helmet. Go, Fionn!!
    Love to you all... glad the numbers are up and everyone is back at home.

    ReplyDelete