Thursday, May 16, 2013

Eat, Sleep, Poop


I forgot.  I really did.  Newborns really have a pretty limited repertoire, don't they?  Deaglan nurses, he naps, he needs a diaper change.  And that's really...about it.  Now why, oh why, did it seem so overwhelming with Fionny?  It's amazing how much easier a baby seems after chasing a toddler around for the past couple of years. 

Speaking of that toddler (can I even still call him that?), there have been a bunch of questions about how he is doing so far.  I am happy to report that he is doing great.  All smiles and energy -- same old Fionny.  In case you doubt my words, here are some pictures taken on the porch a few days ago.  I swear Fionny has been more photographed in the past week than Deaglan.  I guess he is a more interesting subject at this point.

Cheeeeeeese!
 But here's the thing.  It hasn't gotten real yet.  Conor has been here 24-7 to provide constant attention to Fionny, so our boy has basically just traded one full-time parent for another.  No sharing or splitting of attention has yet transpired.  So...check back with us in about 2 weeks, and I might have a different report.

As it stands right now though, Fionny has mostly gone about his normal life.  Not much has changed.  To be honest, he doesn't pay too much attention to Dex.  After all, he's easy to ignore.  He basically just sits there quietly like an adorable little lump.  Usually he's a sleeping lump, although he is beginning to have a few periods of alertness several times per day.

What're you lookin' at?
When Fionn does decide to pay some attention to Dex, it's always very sweet.  Yesterday we got ready to watch his "show" (Sesame Street), and Fionn crawled up on the couch where Deaglan was napping on the Boppy pillow.  "I want to sit right here by Baby Brudder," he said with one of his classic decisive nods.  He then reached over and stroked Deaglan's hair gently.  "I'm petting him," Fionn said with a smile.  Ah, yes, Fionny.  Deaglan is your sweet little pet...until he starts stealing your toys.


Please pardon my Dolly Parton cleavage.

Hey, little bro, you dropped this.
And we're getting some mileage under our belts.  As of yesterday, we have completed our first week as parents of two little boys.  And we are still living to tell about it!  So far, it hasn't been too overwhelming.  Of course, see above paragraphs re: Conor's input in this whole operation.  As I have said, reality has not yet set in.  That said, I have noticed one thing that has been very hard for me.  Although I feel very connected to Dex (more so than I felt with Fionn when he was an infant), I feel sadly disconnected from my darling firstborn.  It makes sense, of course.  I'm sidelined right now in a lot of ways.  I'm not the one taking Fionn on adventures or dropping him off at school.  I'm not the one (thank you, Lord) putting him to bed and giving him his bath every night.  Conor has been doing all of that.  (Seriously, do I have an an amazing husband or what?)

Don't get me wrong.  It has been incredible to have this time with Deaglan to just bond with him and focus on his needs.  But I feel wistful of my days with Fionny.  Quite frankly, I miss him.  Strange to say when he is right underfoot most of the time...but it's true.

Speaking of underfoot, we call this one "The Feet of Summer."
 I know things will change over the next few months, and I am sure that Fionn and I will regain our connection.  It might be altered, of course, but it will still be there.  Maybe it will even be stronger in some ways.  Still, life is bittersweet sometimes, isn't it?  For every wonderful change that occurs, there is always something that gets a little lost in the transition.

Okay, I'll put the tissues away now, I promise.  Switching gears, I do have great news to report.  Deaglan had his 1-week check-up on Tuesday, and he got a glowing report.  He has already surpassed his birth weight (7 lbs., 12.4 ounces) and now weighs 7 lbs, 14 ounces.  He is currently 50% for weight and 73% for height.  The doctor was also impressed with his alertness (I think he saved it all up for the appointment because God knows he slept the whole rest of the day) and his ability to focus on her face which I guess usually doesn't happen at just 1 week old.  I had a feeling my champion nurser was doing pretty good in the weight gain department, but it was a relief to know that all is well.  Keep it up, little guy! 

I will close with a few pictures of the wonderful visitors who have already met our newest boy.  We have loved having people come over and meet Deaglan, and we look so forward to all the other "appointments" that we have on our calendar in the coming weeks.  Trust me, as someone who is used to being on the go, it has been a godsend to have some visiting entertainment to our little house where I have been basically under house arrest (thanks to breastfeeding) for the past 5 days.  So...COME ONE, COME ALL! 

Uncle Bill made a hospital visit to see the little guy.

Lilly Thornblad and our resident dog, Mohn Dog.

Already smiling at Auntie Corey Thornblad.

Fionn making his scariest monster sounds as Jon G. hold Dex.
And we are also housing an extra-special visitor right now.  Fionny and Dex's grandmother, GaGa, is here with us until next Tuesday.  I will report back soon with lots of pictures, I am sure.  Until then...

1 comment:

  1. Love It - Dolly cleavage and all. :D
    Such wonderful pictures and nice to hear about Deaglan's first good report card (so to speak - not to start the performance stressing early). Keep up the good work everyone! Fionn - love, love, love the scary monster picture!! Makes me want to go home and watch Monsters Inc - right. Now. :D:D

    ReplyDelete