
Last week, on August 4th, Fionn's great-grandmother passed away. Her name was Frances Olivia "Molly" Sessums, and she was my beautiful, sassy, spunky grandmother. She was 94 years old and died peacefully in her bed at hospice. We miss her so much already.
Once we received the news of her passing last week, Fionn, Conor, and I traveled to Mississippi to spend time with my family and attend the funeral service. The service was beautiful and very well attended. It was obvious that Mimi touched the lives of so very many people during her 94 years. The service was held at the Methodist church in Drew, MS where Mimi served as the organist for many, many years. Mom and her brothers placed three roses on the organ at the service as a memorial to her beautiful musical talents.
I have also included the poem that I wrote about Mimi that was read at the service. It cannot begin to capture the amazing woman that she was, but I hope that it honors her just the same. We love you, Mimi.
For My Son About His Great-Grandmother
Mimi was a people-watcher
She loved to sit
Propped up against the back of a comfortable chair
Cool drink in hand
Her bright eyes scanning the scene
Just watching
Observing
The movements
And eccentricities
Of strangers
She delighted in the slowness of things
She found beauty in the ordinary
Mimi loved crossword puzzles
She loved to sit
Her feet propped up on an ottoman
A newspaper folded in her hands
As she tackled clue
After clue
Her mind kneading the puzzle
Like hands in bread dough
Taking it apart
Piece
By Piece
Only to put it back together again
Mimi loved to read
She devoured books
Her soft, wrinkled hands
Clutching the paperback novels
Firmly
As she read
Soaking up the characters and scenery
Inside the worn book jackets
And then
Stacking them up beside her
In tall, unsturdy stacks
Once she’d had her fill
Mimi was beautiful
And elegant
She dressed in vivid colors
Blues
And purples
Greens
And pinks
Her white hair perfectly coiffed
Curling softly above her ears
She wore interesting jewelry
Chunky necklaces and shiny brooches
She had a style and a grace
That isn’t common
But is often overlooked
Mimi was fiery
And smart
Her wit delighting everyone around her
She was well-read and sharp
Yet not afraid to tell a dirty joke
Her eyes lighting up as she offered the punch line
To her admiring audience
She was spunky
Spirited as they come
The kind of lady you wanted to know
The kind you never forget
Mimi was a mother
A grandmother
A great-grandmother
She was the proud matriarch
Of a loving family
That continues to grow
Illuminated and nurtured by her memory
My son
You did not get to know Mimi in person
But you will know her very well
She is in the words that I say
The stories that I tell
The funny sayings that sneak into my speech
When I least expect them
She informs my strength
My spirit
My character
My sense of humor
She informs my love for you
You did not get to know Mimi in person
But you will know her very well
She was the kind of lady you wanted to know
The kind you never forget
Casey Crosthwait Crimmins
August 2010
Casey, this is Marsha Goodwin..Your blog site will not allow me to read your posts, unless I use your mom's username/password..I talked to your mom today, and she told me to come visit your blog, which I do often anyway...Great picture of Molly..What a wonderful tribute to an awesome lady...Your poem brought tears to many eyes in the congregation, and smiles, too..We all loved Molly...I love your blog, watching Finn grow up, via internet...He is so precious...Marsha Moody Goodwin
ReplyDeleteHow beautiful, Casey. Love you and thinking of you. I know how proud you and Conor and Fionn must have made your great-grandmother.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful poem, Casey. Thank you for posting it so we can all share in the tribute to such an amazing woman.
ReplyDelete