
For the last few weeks, Fionn has been teasing us with the smallest hint of a smile from time to time. It started out as a subtle little twitch of his mouth which we would have easily missed had we blinked. Then it became a little more obvious, showing itself during playtime (such as during peek-a-boo sessions with Daddy). More recently, his whole face simply lights up when we mimic his sounds ("ooh" and "aah" are favorites) or when we put him on his changing table (his all-time most favorite place).

However, as new parents, we were reluctant to officiate the all-important milestone of First Smile. After all, it's so momentous -- what if we mistakenly labeled this adorable facial expression as his First Smile when really it was just a bad case of gas? Wouldn't the Developmental Milestone Police come after us or something?
So we waited patiently in the wings for the past couple of weeks until it became so undeniable, so obvious...well, we simply had to own up to it. Hot dog, our boy is smiling!

I have to say that, as a mom, it has made parenthood about twice as much fun to see Fionn smiling back at me when I coo at him. Don't get me wrong. I loved Fionn from the moment I saw him in the delivery room. In fact, I loved him long before that if we want to get all technical about it. But I would be lying if I said that I immediately felt an enormous connection to Fionn or that we really "got" each other from the very beginning. I feel jealous of those moms who immediately feel like their child is like a missing part of themselves. It's a wonderful notion and all, but it didn't happen to me.
However, as it turns out, all I needed was a little frown turned upside down from Fionn in order to become officially obsessed with the little guy. Yep, that first hint of a grin, and I was a goner. It really is like falling in love, as they say. I smile just thinking about him. I can't wait to see him when I am away from him for a few hours. And I think he is the most perfect, most adorable baby that ever lived. Of course, that last one is just because it's true, so...

And, on the topic of happy babies, Conor and I recently took Fionn to his very first happy hour. I know, I know. I can only imagine what you're thinking. Taking one's baby to a bar is so "Sweet Home Alabama." But this was actually a bar-sanctioned Family Happy Hour. Fantastic concept, right? Turn on some disco lights to entertain the kids, and the parents get to booze it up! My friend and former coworker, Jen, told me about this ingenious concept, so Conor and I just had to check it out. We met Jen for a beer on Friday with the little guy in tow. He was such a sport through the whole thing even though it was remarkably close to his dinnertime. Anytime he started fussing, Conor just walked him around the bar so he could admire the disco lights. We plan to make this a regular excursion. Thanks so much for the heads-up, Jen!
No comments:
Post a Comment