
Hot dog, we are finally here! After months and months (nine to be exact) of looking forward to May 19th, dreaming about May 19th, telling people "May 19th" when they ask for the due date, it is here! It is really, really, finally here!
And...cue the crickets.
It's not that I thought I would wake up this morning to the gush of my water breaking necessarily, but I guess I did think that I'd be a bit further along on the journey toward labor and delivery. As it stands right now, it seems that I am not very far along at all. At my appointment yesterday, I learned that I am 50% effaced (so my cervix is halfway thinned away) and about "one fingertip dilated." And my doctor is a very, very small man. Sigh.
I don't mean to sound downtrodden. The important thing, of course, is that Baby C is healthy, safe, and strong [albeit a bit too comfortable in his current studio apartment if you ask me]. I think the main take-away point here is that Conor and I are just very eager to meet our little one. After all, we finally have the nursery all ready (well, don't even ask me about that darn mobile...still MIA), the car seats all installed, Baby C'a little clothes all washed and hung up in the armoire...just waiting for Baby. It probably also doesn't help that I finished up with my full-time job last Friday, and now I have nothing but time on my hands. Time to obsess, time to worry, time to get excited and impatient!!
However, despite our impatience, Conor and I are both aware that the time WILL come very soon when Baby C will join our lives forever. As a result, we are trying to enjoy these last moments of quiet time with each other because we are aware that it will all change on a dime as soon as Baby C makes his grand entrance. Whenever that is. And these days, folks, your guess is as good as mine.
Hang in there Casey! I can totally empathize with you on the delay. Ava was about 2 weeks late and I was just miserable with the waiting. I too was dilated 1cm when I finally went into "spontaneous labor". I guess the best advice I could give you would be to enjoy the peace and quiet, journal your thoughts and maybe write Baby C a letter of waiting, eat plenty of ice cream, cereal, and pasta because hospital food is not the best. OH! I almost forgot... go get some thigh high or over the knee socks at Target or something. Sometimes those hospitals can be chilly, I loved mine and they kept my legs cozy. Love you tons and will have you and your family in my prayers
ReplyDelete