However, there are other times when it seems like the time is just flying by. I can't believe that Baby C will soon be in my arms instead of inside my tummy. I have to say that I have had a very wonderful pregnancy so far, and I feel a bit nostalgic sometimes that it is coming to an end. Don't get me wrong. I am definitely impatient to meet my son and begin our life together. But I will miss aspects about pregnancy. For instance, I have lately had thoughts such as "Will I be bored with my body when there is not a cute round bump jutting out of my midsection?" and "Will I miss the constant kicks and wiggles of Baby C once he is outside the womb?" I know the answer to both of those questions is probably a resounding "NO!" because I will have something even better -- the actual, real-life Baby C whom Conor and I have already come to love and adore. Ah, and he will be better than any collection of little baby kicks or a cute round belly. This I know.
So, Reader, just in case you are not the biggest math whiz, I will clarify that today I am officially 36 weeks pregnant. And, as is standard in my ob-gyn practice at 36 weeks, an ultrasound was performed today in order to check for the position of the baby as well as give us an estimate about his size. It was so much fun to see our little boy again and simply amazing to see his development in the 4 months since our last ultrasound. I have posted a picture from our first ultrasound at 8 weeks as well as a picture of his adorable profile from our appointment today for comparison's sake.
In some ways, it seems like just yesterday that we had the 8-week ultrasound and heard the beautiful sound of Baby C's heart beating for the first time. Despite the fact that our little guy resembled a snowman more than a baby, we could not have been more thrilled to see his little shape on the ultrasound screen and to hear that all was well with our baby.
Flash forward 28 weeks to our appointment today which was just as joyous and exciting. The ultrasound tech assured us that Baby C appears to be right on track as far as his growth and development. He is already head down which is fabulous news, and his organs look well-formed and healthy. The tech said that he appeared to be measuring at 6 lbs, 6 ounces today which means that, assuming he stays put until his due date in 4 weeks, Baby C could be approximately 8.5 lbs. at birth! Yikes! We also had the tech verify the sex of our little one again since we were not looking at the screen at the last ultrasound. She was happy to oblige. And, yep, he is definitely a boy! I didn't want to embarass him too much by posting pictures of his privates on this blog, but you can all rest assured that Baby Boy C is indeed a little boy with all that this entails. I also couldn't help but notice that Baby C appears to have the Crosthwait nose with its rounded shape. The jury is still out, though, on whether or not he has the classic Crimmins cleft in his chin. I guess we'll have to wait and see...
Awww, what a cute little nose indeed! So glad that you had a good check in with Baby C today. We can't wait to meet him!
ReplyDelete