Thursday, March 15, 2012

Lordy, Lordy...


Last weekend our family of three traveled to Minneapolis, MN to celebrate a very special person -- Fionn's Auntie Erin (a.k.a. Conor's 3rd oldest sister and my sister-in-law).  It was a very short weekend of family togetherness as we arrived late on Friday night and left on Sunday around lunchtime.  Nevertheless, in true Crimmins fashion, we were still able to rock several get-togethers even with the time crunch.

First up?  Swimming at Uncle Carey's hotel pool, thank you very much!

Kelly and a sleepy Annie


Giving Liam the dunk while Daddy eggs him on.
After swimming and nap time, it was time to head over to Shannon and Mike's house for a birthday party for Erin.  There was plenty of beer, delicious Tex-Mex food, and lots o' Crimmins Littles running around underfoot.  I don't know where this next picture fits in exactly, but I just love this picture of Conor's mom, Jean.  I just think she looks so content and pretty.



Okay, it has to be said.  A strange thing happens when the entire Crimmins Family gathers together.  A parent (take me for example) might suddenly feel that she doesn't need to keep such a close watch over her very rambunctious toddler.  The reason is this: There are so many family members in close proximity, you just figure that someone will catch him before he gets to the Drain-O. You know the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child?"  Well, a quorum of Crimminses pretty much constitutes a village, don't you think?  A mother (again, take me just for hypothetical reasons) might sort of figure, "Meh, someone will watch him."  Say what you will about that logic, the party was definitely more relaxing than most large gatherings we have attended as of late!  And Fionn left the party unscathed so I think we're good.

But I don't want you to think we totally abandoned our child during the party.  No, no.  We sought him out for photo ops, of course. 

Aw, man, I was about to play with a set of knives.  Buzz kill!

But I haven't even mentioned the best part about the weekend!  It was a total surprise to the soon-to-be birthday girl!  Erin's actual birthday is not until April so I think she was a wee bit befuddled to see so many loved ones gathered in her honor in what was hardly mid-March.  This next picture captures her classic expression when she waltzed into Shannon's house to find a whole host of people awaiting her entrance.  SURPRISE!!!



The party continued for hours after the surprise entrance and featured a slide show of Erin's Wonder Years.  Not long after the slide show, Fionn and I had to make our exit.  The kid was simply partied out.  Sweet Auntie Meaghan drove us back to her house where we were staying, and Fionn and I both crashed pretty hard.  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the hijinks continued...

Adorable Gracie, all ready for bedtime. 
Aaah!!  There's that creepy mask again.  This time the masked man is Liam.
Luke, I am your father.  Or your cousin.  Not sure. 





Auntie Erin with her birthday loot.   


 The weekend ended with a cookout over at Shannon and Mike's on Sunday.  We weren't able to stay long because of our flight, but it was still nice to see everyone for a brief visit.

I will post more on this soon, but I have to quickly mention that we arrived home to a very disturbing email from one of my friends.  Her son, one of Fionn's little friends, was diagnosed with hand-foot-mouth disease.  My friend kindly sent me an email on Monday night to let me know that her son was most likely contagious during our play date with them last Thursday.  I immediately had flashbacks of Fionn putting a pretzel into his mouth that had just been spit out from the mouth of her son, Miles.  Ruh roh.  I checked Fionn's mouth on Tuesday morning, and sure enough...yucky little sores on his tongue and inside his bottom lip.  Besides some fussiness, low-grade temperature, and decreased appetite due to the pain in his mouth, Fionn seems to be doing okay.  I think he has a very mild form of the virus.  Regardless, we are in a state of quarantine this whole week which has been zero fun.  And of course I feel terrible that we might have exposed the whole lot of Crimmins Littles to this nasty little virus.  Ugh.  As Conor's sister, Kelly, said, "This is when you wish the kids weren't so good at sharing."  Truer words, truer words...

I will report back soon on our quarantine, and how my sanity has been called into question as a result.  You know what they say.  All work and no play dates...

No comments:

Post a Comment