| Holy Cute Toddler, Batman! |
Settle in, folks. Today I've got a little story to tell you. Picture it. Tuesday morning, approximately 7 o'clock in the am. I am checking email and sipping on my first cup of coffee. Aside from the click of my fingers on the keyboard, the only sound in the house is the whish of the dishwasher as it slaps and slops our plates clean. Suddenly, there is the creak of a door opening. Our bedroom door. I look up, expecting to see one of our cats sashaying through the door frame.
Let me back up a bit. Although our darling boy has indeed hiked up his legs a time or two in a threatening manner over the side of his crib, there has been no climbing out as of yet. We were still existing in a pipe dream universe of believing that our son was still a captive prisoner once placed inside his crib. As a testament to this idea, Fionn's toddler bed is still sitting in pieces on our front porch as my hardworking husband slowly completes Project Big Boy Bed in his nonexistent spare time.
Well, folks, our bubble officially burst on Tuesday morning. Our son, our Fionny, is not only able to escape his crib -- but also his room. The timing, of course, was nothing short of impeccable. My dad and Julie were scheduled to arrive within hours to keep Fionn while Conor and I embarked upon a short visit to California.
Argh! What to do, what to do? First, I tried taking any and all stuffed animals, books, and pillows (basically anything that could be used as leverage for our boy) out of the crib. No go. Fionn scaled the side of the crib within seconds flat. The only comfort here was seeing firsthand that he is in no danger of hurting himself during his escapes. He is amazingly graceful, straddling the side of the crib before using his arm and core strength to lower himself slowly down onto the ground. That said, I still moved his Big Boy Mattress into his nursery to buffer any future falls. Fionn seemed delighted with this new development. Two mattressses? Wowzers!
Then I remembered what my friend Hillary told me that she did after her son, James, started climbing out of the crib. She put him in his pack-and-play because the sides were seemingly higher. Something like that. In desperation, sweat beading at my brow, I hauled the pack-and-play out of the storage room and set it up in Fionn's room. Placed him into it. Walked out of the room. And waited. Sure enough, within seconds, I heard the creak of Fionn's nursery door opening as he padded into the living room. By this time, he was sporting a devilish grin following his escapes. This is a super-fun game! Mama puts me into a containment device, and I escape! Let's do it again and again!
It goes without saying that no nap happened in the Crimmins household that fated Tuesday afternoon.
However, now I had the bigger problem of what to do while Dad and Julie were holding down the fort this week. Should I just cancel my plans to accompany Conor to California? I couldn't possibly leave with this sort of "situation" going on at Casa de Crimmins. It was all feeling very hopeless.
But then a magical thing happened. I picked up Dad and Julie at the airport (with Fionn bouncing happily in the car seat INSTEAD OF NAPPING!). And they were just so...calm about the whole thing. They made me feel like everything was going to be a-okay.
And you know what? It was. We put Fionn down without a problem that night, and so far he has been sleeping in his crib without issue since we departed DC on Wednesday morning. Unless they are lying through their teeth to me (which is possible), Fionn has been sleeping nicely through the night without any repeat crib escapes. I am wholeheartedly anticipating a reemergence of issues upon our return, of course. Which is why his door now features a lock on it which can only be utilized from our side of the door. Is it child abuse to lock your child in his room? Not sure, but I'm thinking it might be worth the risk.
Before we left on our trip, we had the opportunity to observe how comfortable Fionn felt with my dad and Julie Fionn just loves his grandparents. As soon as he saw Julie at the airport, he pointed at her and said "Juju!" We're still working on getting him to say "Jim" for my dad. Maybe there has been some progress made during our absence. Name or no name, it is an enormous comfort knowing that he is in such good hands while we are in California. We didn't get too many pics of Fionn with the Dad and Julie, but here is one for the record books. You might think it is Nicole Ritchie circa 2003, but it's really just our Fionn wearing Juju's glasses. Is he a cool dude or what?
| Now tell me, are these lenses polarized? |
By the way, as I type this blog post, I am sitting in front of a roaring fire at the Ritz Carlton in Half-Moon Bay outside of San Francisco. Conor, poor dear, has been in meetings all day, but I have been relaxing more than I have in YEARS -- years, I tell you! Breakfast in bed, lounging around the room in my hotel robe, a little lunch, a little wine, a lot of reading. It has been pretty awesome. On the docket for this afternoon? Two hours of spa treatments. I am a lucky, lucky girl. Here are a few pics from our walk around the property yesterday. It is truly gorgeous here, like something straight out of Wuthering Heights.
| American Wedding was filmed here. But don't hold that against it, okay? |
| Breaking the rules! Breaking the rules! |
If I didn't miss my blond munchkin so much, I think I would set up camp in front of this fire. But, alas, my heart belongs in Washington, DC. So we'll embark upon our return trip to DC tomorrow morning, bright and early. BTW, the return flight in itself is a complete treat. Time to read, watch On Demand movies, or nap -- UNINTERRUPTED! Pinch me! I must be dreaming!
In closing, I will include a recent video of our son bouncing happily in a swing during our Friday playgroup. It is comforting to know that there are still ways to hold him captive.
Oh Casey, what a story! You tell it so well, I can just see Fionn climbing out! Glad your trip has been lovely and good luck with crib-land upon your return!
ReplyDelete