Monday, April 4, 2011

Run, Mommy, Run!

Yesterday the Cherry Blossom Ten-Miler marked my first race as a Mommy. It wasn't too different than all my other races as a non-Mommy with one notable exception. This time there was a very special little pint-size fan waiting for me in the throng of people at the finish line.

I have to say that Fionn provided a mighty fine motivator as I trudged along the oh-so-gorgeous race course (which provided amazing views of the cherry blossoms which were in full bloom). I kept thinking about my boy's sweet smile and how I couldn't wait to see him at the finish line.

I also reminisced a lot about my last significant race which took place in October 2009. It was the Marine Corps 10K, and I was 10.5 weeks pregnant with Fionn at the time. [I also ran a 5K while pregnant, but it was more of a fun run.] As some of you might remember, I was scheduled to run the Marine Corps Marathon that October, but I had to transfer into the 10K when I became pregnant. I was definitely nervous about the 10K because my training had not been going so well in the weeks leading up to the race. I was in that phase of pregnancy where the fatigue is just starting to set in, and running more than a few miles felt like a chore. I was also experiencing some knee pain, and I knew I couldn't take any sort of preemptive pain medication due to the pregnancy. All that, in addition to my ever-present concern about the little person growing inside of me...well, let's just say I had a little race day anxiety. However, as I recall, the race was a really wonderful experience. I remember running with this comforting sense that I wasn't running alone. Instead, I had a little built-in running partner -- I just didn't know him yet. I also remember tears welling up in my eyes constantly during the race, noticing all the women with t-shirts proclaiming that they were running in honor of their sons and daughters who were in the military. I imagined the worry and pride that I would feel if Baby C was stationed overseas, fighting for our country. I felt a connection to these women in a way that I hadn't before. I was a mommy-to-be. I understood what they were feeling...sort of.

Flash forward to yesterday's race. Unencumbered by a pregnant belly and an overactive bladder, I was free to sprint along to my heart's content. It was liberating, I have to admit. But there was also a tiny twinge of loneliness as I remembered my last race. My little running buddy was no longer along for the ride. Instead, he was on top of his Daddy's shoulder at the finish line. Ah, the nostalgia of pregnancy. It hits me sometimes when I least expect it.

Of course, I wasn't truly alone as I pounded the pavement yesterday morning. Instead, I was lucky enough to share this special race experience with my favorite pre-Fionny running partner -- my Dad, who arrived in town last Saturday along with my stepmom, Julie.

As usual, Dad kicked my butt during the race, and I lost sight of him about two miles into the run. But we met up at the finish line where Fionn was on hand with some post-race refreshments.

And Fionn was promptly rewarded with a smooch for his kindness.


The visit with Dad and Julie was short but wonderful. Following the race, we showered at Dad and Julie's hotel. Then we made our way to the Old Ebbitt Grill for brunch where Fionn had his first taste of grits. I am proud to say that my boy, with his half-blood Southern roots, was an enthusiastic fan! Sadly, I don't have a picture to share. We were too busy scarfing down our grub. Sorry, folks.

After a well-deserved post-race nap, Dad and Julie came back to our house where they got to witness Fionn in his element. Pushing his little shopping cart (new favorite toy alert!) around the playroom, eating his first-ever meatball (made by his Daddy the night before), playing with his toys in the bathtub. Fionny was happy as a clam to play host to his special guests. Oh, it's fun to watch him show off. Again, no pictures. We were too busy enjoying the moment.

After an afternoon of play time, we left Fionn with a sitter in order to enjoy an adults-only meal at J.G. Steakhouse. Oh, it was so delicious. I have to admit that I had more than my share of wine along with my rack of lamb and chocolate cake. But heck! It was a special occasion. Right? Yeah, all I can say is...Thank God for coffee. It is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

Thanks so much for visiting, Dad and Julie! We love you so much!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your race, Casey! It's so very impressive to see you back out on the pavement (although I knew you would be)!
    Lots of love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete