
After 6 weeks of hearty traveling, Conor and I were thrilled to have a long weekend to enjoy at home with our boy. We thought that it was important to remind Fionn that we do indeed live in Washington, DC -- not the BWI airport or the car or any of the other wonderful places we have visited in the past 2 months.
The weather cooperated beautifully with us last weekend too, allowing us to get out and about with Fionn for hours at a time -- something we really have not been able to do (while in DC at least) since his birth because of the stifling heat we have experienced this summer. Not so this past weekend. No siree. Instead, the temps were in the low 80s with a gentle breeze and beautiful sunny skies. Perfection!
We spent Saturday afternoon strolling around Capitol Hill where Conor and I lived before buying our little house in Brookland. We spent a large portion of the day just taking in the sights at Eastern Market, an open air market that has everything you could ever want - from handmade crafts to beautiful flowers to fresh seafood. It is a fantastic place to people watch and just soak up the beautiful weather. Here is a picture of Conor and Fionn in front of one of the many vegetable kiosks in the market. That adorable red hat that Fionn is wearing went M.I.A. shortly after the photo was taken. No clue what happened to it.

After an hour or so of walking around, we stopped in for a burger and a beer at Tunnicliff's. Seriously the best burger I'd ever had. Or maybe I was just starving. Hard to say. Meanwhile, Fionn enjoyed the sights and sounds on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant.

On Sunday Conor and I took Fionn to one of our favorite walking spots, Sligo Creek in Silver Spring, Maryland. We strapped the little guy into the jogging stroller and took a nice 6 mile walk. It felt so nice to stretch our legs and enjoy nature.
Then on Labor Day, Conor gave me the best gift a husband can give to a new mother. Some FREEDOM! Thanks to my supportive hubby, I was able to get out on Monday morning for a long run for the first time since Fionn's birth. Although I am horribly out of shape, it was still wonderful to huff and puff my way along my favorite trail in Alexandria and at least pretend that I am still a runner.
And, if that wasn't enough, Conor proceeded to stay with Fionn again later that afternoon so I could go to a movie and coffee with a girlfriend. I returned to the house later that day feeling refreshed and happy -- and missing my two boys like crazy! Thanks, Conor, for the gift of yesterday. It was just what I needed.
So...this post is pretty lame, huh? Turns out it's not as interesting to have a 14-week-old when you are just hanging out at home! Luckily for you, dear Readers, Fionn and I are headed out yet again in the wee morning hours of tomorrow. Destination this week? Jackson, Mississippi to see the fam!
No comments:
Post a Comment