Monday, April 11, 2016

Party of Five


It is so fun to have some happy news to share about our family that has nothing to do with cancer.  Friends, we could not be more thrilled to announce that we are expecting our THIRD baby boy late this summer!  I am 20 weeks pregnant this week which means the due date is technically September 1st.  That said, I am hopeful that this little guy might decide to be more timely than his brothers.  A wee bit early even.  That would be novel, especially since Fionn and Deaglan have stayed stubbornly put until 41 weeks and beyond.

Fionn and Deaglan.  I can't believe there will be another little boy following them around before long.  I will have you know that our Fionn could not be more excited or adorable about this baby.  At least once a day, he says something to the effect of, "I am SO excited about this baby!" or "I just can't believe we are going to have another baby in our family!"  Deaglan, on the other hand, seems completely oblivious.  Or maybe he's in denial.  I am definitely a little worried that my sensitive, emotional little Dex might struggle the baby arrives.  Another, pint-size little guy to steal his adorable thunder?  Dexie don't play that.  But we'll see.  Maybe he'll surprise us and roll with it better than I think.

Here's one more ultrasound picture of the wee one.  It's 3D so a it's a little freaky.  I love it though.  We've never had a 3D image of one of our babies, and it blows my mind how much you can distinguish about his features already.  I think he looks just like Conor's baby pictures.  Fionn, however, was very concerned that Baby Brother will be orange.  It's an understandable concern, I must say, but something tells me we're going to be okay.


A friend asked me recently if Fionn's health issues made it easier or harder to decide to have another baby.  It's such a good question, and I've thought about it so much since this friend posed it to me.  All I know is that we always wanted more children, and Fionn's cancer diagnosis never altered that desire.  I can only speak for myself, but I think cancer's presence in our lives made me feel even more strongly that I wanted another child in our family.  I'm not sure exactly why, but my best guess is that it has to do with realizing how important family is to me.  And how important my boys are to one another.  When they aren't fighting (which is half the time...ah, 75% of the time, who am I kidding?), it is simply magical between them.  They understand each other in a way that Conor and I can't touch.  They make each other laugh hysterically.  Fionn might torture Dexie most of the day, but he won't hesitate to tell you that Dex is his favorite person on this planet.  I look so forward to seeing the dynamic between them change but hopefully (eventually) flourish as we add another little boy to the mix.

Three boys.  Good Lord.  Sometimes I still can't believe it.  I just hope my house is still standing in 5 years.  For that matter, I hope I am still standing in 5 years.

Have a great week, folks.

3 comments:

  1. SO exciting! Three wonderful brothers to have each other's backs.love to all! Grammie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! You're having an Oompa-Loompa?!? How exciting! :) Love to you all...
    https://youtu.be/PZhs7w-FzeI

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so touched to see the 3D sonogram almost as soon as you did. that image has stayed with me all week and I've tried describing it to others. thanks for letting me see it.
    uncle bill

    ReplyDelete