Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Best in Show (and Tell)


Only two more treatments?  What the what?
 After a nice weekend at home with GaGa and the rest of the family, Fionn returned to the University of Maryland yesterday for the last half of his radiation treatments.  Conor reported that there were some tears and reluctance on Fionn's part yesterday; but in the end, he steadied himself and got the job done.  I'm sure it was just hard for Fionn to return to the lab after a few days away.  I know it was hard for me!  Anyway, today went really smoothly.  Our boy hopped right up on the table, put on his mask, and off we went.  I'm not sure my car engine even had time to cool before we were back behind the wheel, heading toward preschool.  Because of the efficiency of these appointments, Fionn was able to attend school last Thursday and Friday, and we hope that he will be at school every single day this week.  Hooray for efficiency!

Speaking of Fionn's thermoplastic mask, here is the finished product.  Heatwave the Rescue Bot.  Megan at the lab did a great job, and Fionn is super-psyched to take it to preschool once his treatments are complete.  Best show-and-tell ever or what?


I also wanted to share a few more pictures from my mom's visit with us.  It was so nice to have her here last week, and we are really so thankful for her help.  This whole cancer experience has made me so jealous of people who have helpful family members within a short drive.  It truly takes a village...even when your kids are healthy.  Once sickness comes into the picture, that village becomes less of a luxury and more of a necessity.  Thank goodness for close friends who have been our surrogate family in these last 8 months.  Thank you all a million times over.

Okay, back to the cute pictures!  This first one is truly awesome, isn't it?  Mom caught Dex in an unusually adorable moment.  Well, he's often adorable but not as easily caught being adorable on film.  What's even better?  He was actually saying "GaGa" at the moment the shot was snapped.  Quick note on Dex.  I feel like I sold him down a river a few weeks ago (or would have liked to at least -- haha), but he has actually been a complete joy these last few weeks.  Not sure what happened.  He's still a handful, but a happy, hilarious one.  Maybe the D-hole Period was just a phase?  Putting up gates at the house definitely didn't hurt either.  Containment and toddlers are definitely a healthy combination.


Fionny with his new obsession, his electric car.
Celebrating GaGa's birthday
I will check back in again once we graduate from radiation on Thursday.  It will be a milestone of a day because it also officially shuts the door on Phase 4.  This phase has been a helluva ride, and I am ready to say "sayonara" once and for all.  Until Thursday, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment