Eight years ago, an engaged couple moved to a little neighborhood called Brookland. We had never heard of it before we started looking for a house to buy. But it was affordable. Cute. Close to the metro. On a lark, we stopped by to check out a house we saw advertised on Craig's List. I mean, really, Craig's List? What the heck? But we loved it. We loved the big front porch and the yard in the back. We liked the charm of the old doorknobs and the molding around the windows and doors. It felt like home.
Flash forward eight years. One marriage. Two kids. One cat. We have created a life here. A family. As a stay-at-home mom, I have benefited greatly from the amazing network of moms and dads here. There is always a playgroup to attend, a free toy to acquire, and a whole army of moms and dads one click away on the neighborhood listserve, eager to offer advice about how to get my teething baby to stop crying (ahem, Dex!).
When Fionny got sick last June, I was floored by the response of our neighbors. People wanting to help, cook, take care of Dex...something, anything! Some of these folks were close friends, but others were people I didn't know very well outside of our playground chats. They just...cared about our family. It was incredible and touched me more than I will ever be able to adequately express without breaking down into incoherent sobs. I will never forget it. Brookland is such a special place.
But you wanna know the real kicker? Our next door neighbors are the best people in the world. Seriously. I do not exaggerate. They are incredible. Selfless, thoughtful, caring...and also hilarious, witty, and so much fun. You could not find better neighbors even if you launched a national search (Best American Neighbors!). And here we simply lucked out, getting plunked down right beside them on Newton Street.
| Oh, and did I mention they are also PACKERS fans??? |
Thankfully, we're not moving to Timbuktu. Just Kensington, Maryland. It's only 8 miles away. We will still see each other. As Nicole said recently, "Together, we can get through this!" I love her.
So yes. In the midst of all of Fionn's treatment craziness, we are packing up our house and moving to a new town. Our closing date is October 20th. We are very excited, of course, but the whole thing is very daunting too. I mean, packing up all our belongings from the past 8 years? Selling our house? When is there time to do that? Heck, I can hardly find time to wash my hair!
However, we're plodding along. Somehow, we trust, it will all happen. We will get packed. The house will get sold. We will get moved.
Fionn and Dex, for their part, are embracing the packing experience. It makes for cool fort materials after all.
| Well, this one's an airport runway. |
| And this one's a boat. |
All in all, I know we'll be okay. After all, home is where the heart is, right?
I'll check in again on Monday following clinic. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
I wanna see pics of the house! Congrats y'all!!! Sounds like an awesome place and I'm excited for new digs...maybe with less stairs in the front ;)? Love you
ReplyDeleteA house is made with walls and beams.
ReplyDeleteA home is made with love and dreams.
~Author Unknown
See Also: George Carlin's routine on Stuff
(maybe after hours unless Fionn and Dex know how to play the Earmuffs Game) ;-)
I love your neighbors! So very important to have good neighbors. I trust that somehow you will all manage to pack everything up and get moved to the new house - which sounds lovely, too.
Take care and good luck for a good clinic day this week.
XXXXXOOOOO ~Aunt Mimi (aka Meaghan)
i'll vouch for the next door neighbors. too bad they can't pack them up and take them with.
ReplyDeleteuncle bill
Congrats Casey! We'll miss you guys.
ReplyDeleteYou DO have the best neighbors!! Anyone who'll carry my suitcase and backpack up THOSE stairs ... GOLDEN :-)
ReplyDeleteCongrats!!!! So excited for this new era!!! Kensington sounds like a short hop skip and jump away! As they may not be your neighbors once October rolls in, they will be your forever friends with a bond that goes far beyond the property lines!
ReplyDelete