This year, my concept of what constitutes a "good father" has been stretched way beyond my wildest expectations. I have always known that I won the lottery in terms of my baby daddy. But this last 10 days...well, let's just say I have never felt luckier to be partnered up with Conor D. Crimmins for this wild n' crazy ride of life.
Only Conor can make the hospital feel like summer camp for our boy with his enthusiasm and playful nature. He even makes peeing in the bedpan seem like a freaking adventure. You gotta pee again, Fionny? No problem, sport Let's see how much we collect this time! Maybe we'll beat our record from 2 hours ago! Go get 'em, champ!
I'm serious. He's amazing.
So I suppose it should be no wonder that my son wants nothing to do with me lately. He is ALL ABOUT his daddy. All about him. I am totally chopped liver. I'm fact, I might be minced liver if that's an option. Whatever is the bottom of the totem pole...that's me.
I am trying to not take it personally. But it's pretty hard to be the unwanted mommy to a sick kid. One sweet well-meaning nurse was completed flabbergasted by the whole idea. She made such a big deal about it. "Wow, that's just so unusual. I mean, because he's sick, but he doesn't want mommy. Usually they want mommy. That's just so interesting," she said cocking her little blonde head to one side.
I wanted to clobber her right then and there with her damn nurse's clog.
But I didn't. I just smiled and said, "Yep, well, he's got a pretty great daddy."
And he does. I don't mean for this whole thing to be about me. Crap, I made it about me again, didn't I? There I go again.
I will close by saying simply "thank you" to my better half. Conor, I honestly don't know how I would have weathered the past 10 days without you by my side. Know that you are loved and so very, very appreciated. Happy Father's Day.
Love this. Couldn't be more proud of you as a Dad, Conor. Lord knows you're one heck of an older brother. Love you. Love you too, Casey!
ReplyDeleteThis was a priceless one,Casey!!We all love Conor and you,too,Casey!!He is just being too much fun for Fionn right now~~happy for that!!Casey,you'll get your shared crown back in due time!!Hang in there and don't be throwing any shoes!!!Happy Father's Day to the best!!and might I add~~~to a mother that is,too!!love you all~~See you in one more day!!!
ReplyDeleteDaddy is the hero battling the bad guy in this movie....not surprised that he wants the biggest, toughest to protect him...not a wimpy little Mom...Ha Ha...seriously Casey, your little man will always be his Mama's baby...just right now Daddy is the man!!!
ReplyDeleteseriously?
ReplyDeletegee, i wish i could have found an APPROPRIATE father's day card!
love
uncle bill
Such a lovely post, Casey!
ReplyDeleteYou are blessed, Casey! Hope today is another day of healing IN REMISSION!! What a beautiful word remission is...I know Sandra is chomping at the bits to get up there to be with you and your family tomorrow..God bless you all...Praying for Fionn...TEAM FIONN, all the way! Marsha Goodwin
ReplyDeleteYou had the wisdom to explain exactly why Fionn wants his daddy...plus, he probably realizes that his baby brother needs his mom a little bit, too! Praying for you and all yours, sweet Casey! Melinda Williams
ReplyDeleteSo sweet! Love that last picture!! Thinking of you all xooxox
ReplyDeleteThat last pic sums it all up...two little peas in a pod!!! Conor, being a child at heart is just doing everything his inner child is telling him to!!!! Happy Fathers Day Conor, you learned from one of the best!!!!
ReplyDeleteWay to go, Conor! Such a lovely tribute and even lovelier to be able to have such an attitude for Fionn. . . . Hopefully that nurse thought later on "oh! I shouldn't have said that!!!". Hopefully. Take care all. Blessings!
ReplyDelete