Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Four


Birthday French toast sticks.  Pretty impressive, right?  Yep, Fionn hated 'em.  Forget that he specifically requested French toast for his birthday breakfast. 

"I don't like cinnamon, Mama," he explained with a shrug.  "I just don't like this."  He then repeated it about 20 times until I finally had to say, "Okay!  GOT IT!"

Geez.  Next time I'll just buy the frozen numbers instead of slaving away in the kitchen the night before to get them just right.  I just don't get no respect, I tell ya.  No respect. 

So...four years old.  That sounds INSANELY old to me.  I seriously can't believe I have a 4-year-old child.  It seems like 7 will be right around the corner.  Then 10.  Double digits!  Egads!  Then it's only a matter of time before the teenage years.  And then he's off to college (here's hoping!).  Married (maybe?).  And gone.  Just gone.

Okay, I know I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here.  But it really does feel like four years old is the gateway to Big Kid.  After all, everyone swears -- SWEARS! -- that four is the year where everything comes together in terms of behavior.  Better decisions.  More focus.  Better listening.  More empathy.  We've been holding out for this age for the better part of Fionn's young life.  So it better deliver, people!  Or I will hunt you down!

Four years.  Holy cow.  It's crazy to think that four years ago in 2010, Conor and I were sitting in a hospital room with our newborn son.  I think I was drinking a beer and eating Thai food by this time actually.  Ha!

There is no way we could have grasped how our lives had forever changed in that moment.  We really just had no clue.

Here's a quick blast from the past.


Wow.  Bunch of newbies.  No idea the ride that was in store for us with our little blond sprite, Seamus Fionn Crimmins.

He's about Dex's age in this picture.  Blows my mind!
I'll tell you that the worst times as a parent have been worse than anything I could have imagined.  But the good times.  Oh, the good times.  The heart of the new mom in that hospital room never saw it coming.

This little boy.  How he has stolen our hearts (and given us a few gray hairs along the way too!).   We could not love you more, Fionny Boy.  Keep doing your thing, kiddo.

3 comments:

  1. I spy with my little eye... A birthday drumstick?

    Good choice - no cinnamon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fionn must have REALLY not liked the french toast sticks ... he has a whole battalion ready to shoot them down!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey, this made me cry! SOOO perfectly written! Love y'all and that sweet little Fionn! Happy Birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete