Thursday, May 3, 2012

To Mississippi With Love


Every so often, I get that itch.   And I just know.  It's time to go home again.

Home for me, as you all know, is Jackson, Mississippi.  Or I guess I should say that it's my roots.  Conor and I definitely feel like DC is becoming home -- more and more with every coming week.  Nevertheless, there will always be a sizable chunk of my heart that is reserved for my home state. You know what they say.  You can take the girl out of Mississippi...

Besides feeling that familiar itch, the timing of this trip home also coincided nicely with Conor's trip to Jazz Fest in New Orleans (can we all say it in unison?  Lucky dog.).  My thinking was this: I figured I could either stay in DC and be a single parent for 5 nights...Or pack it up and take this golden opportunity to visit my family.  I would still be single-parenting it, of course, but at least there would be the nice distraction of grandparents.  Plus, we were able to fly with Conor both ways since New Orleans is just a few hours away from Jackson.  It probably goes without saying that flying with Fionn is a job that is best shared these days.  He is one happy-but-active little flyer.  Speaking of flying, would you believe that this trip to Jackson marked Fionn's 23rd and 24th flights?  That's just about 1 flight per every month of his life.  Nutso.  Pure nutso.  This last flight was particularly poignant for us because it was Fionn's last flight before he reaches the two-year-old mark, and we have to fork over the dough for him to have his very own seat.  We aren't pleased about this, of course.  But Fionn will be thrilled.  "Own seat," he kept saying to us during this last trip, spreading out his little body so that there was no room for either of us to sit with him.  "Mama, move!" 

Ah, but I digress.  Back to the topic at hand.  Our wonderful trip to Mississippi.

So our trip began with a morning in the park with my dad.  Fionn loves the park near my dad's house, and I have to admit that it is pretty spectacular.  Tons of different slides and swings.  Our Fionn made it his mission to do quality control on every single one of them.

This one seems okay.  Nice flexible seat, good vantage point from the peak "swing" position.  I give it an A!
This swing ain't gonna push itself, Pops.
I try to remain objective during my qualitative survey, but...WHOOPEEEE!  This slide rocks!
After the park and some lunch, we returned to my dad's house for a nap.  Yeah, that was an utter fail.  As soon as we pulled into Dad's driveway, and Fionn saw the tree swing, it was all over.  Sure I went through the motions of taking him upstairs and putting him down, but it was to no avail.  "Outside!  Outside!"  I could hear him chanting from behind the closed door.  Sigh.  Fionn: 1.  Mama: 0.

I guess I can't blame him.  It was a pretty cool swing.  Not a bad view of the lake either.




But even Fionn knew when he'd had enough.  At some point during our visit at Dad and Julie's, Fionn decided that it was time to go.  Perhaps give that nap another chance.  He stomped up to me, pulled my arm, and said, "Mama, go car.  Me go car."  Yeah, we're working on the manners.  I am really starting to feel like the boy's lackey.

As expected, my liege did indeed fall asleep on the way to my mom's house where we were staying.  Thank God for the I-Phone.  It has spared me countless hours of staring into space at nothing while my boy sleeps it off in the backseat. 

Upon waking, we headed out to my Mom's patio for some QT.  My brother, Jay, came over with his new dog, Molly (named for my grandmother). Fionn immediately set up shop on the patio ottoman.


Speaking of my Mom, it should be known that she has changed her grandmother name from Ganna to Gaga.  It came about pretty organically.  Fionn, in his continued quest to master the English language, still has difficulty making some sounds.  Apparently "Ganna" just wasn't doin' it for him.  He pointed at my mom and uttered the word "Gaga."  And so it was.  Major kudos to my mom for rolling with the name change instead of trying to force the "Ganna" issue.  And, really, Gaga is way cuter anyway, don't you think?

The Grandmother formerly known as Ganna.




Uncle Jay and Molly the dog.

And then, just when the patio and Molly were starting to lose their allure...Mom's boyfriend, Clint, rolled up in his Mustang convertible. 

And all was right with the world again.

Man, Clint, is this thing a chick magnet or what?

The next morning we packed our bags again and headed out for a weekend in Natchez, Mississippi where my Uncle Shelby lives.  Natchez, as most of you know, is also where Conor and I got married a little over 5 years ago.  It is a quaint, beautiful little town, and we were so grateful that Shelby was willing to host us for a couple of days.  Fionn loves exploring new places, and it was a blast wandering around Natchez.  Here's a pic of my Shelby, Fionny, and my mom on Shelby's porch swing.  It was happy hour -- can you tell?  Maybe that explains why Uncle Shelby was flashing a gang sign on his chest.

It should be noted that wherever Fionn goes these days, his matchbox cars are not far behind.  We even have a special little backpack for him so he can tote them around.  I'll have to get a picture of it sometime.  Anyway, Fionn made himself right at home on the banister of Shelby's front porch.  There is nothing sweeter than enjoying a happy hour drink to the soundtrack of "Beep!  Beep!  Vroom!  Vroom!" of your little boy pushing his cars around a gorgeous porch.  Am I right?

Before you can ask...Yes, several cars did fall off into the bushes during our visit.  And, yes, I did climb on my hands and knees through the shrubbery to fetch them.  C'mon, people, they are his cars, for the sake of Pete.  This is serious business.


Okay, so next I have to talk about the dog.  Fionn and Shelby's dog Duke -- oh, what a pair!  Duke is still a very young dog, not quite 2 years old.  In fact, he and Fionn were practically born on the same day.  Shelby swore up and down that Duke is usually very calm.  Well, not so much around Fionny.  I think my boy and his rascally nature brought out the worst in Duke.  They were hilarious to watch.  Two peas in a pod, romping around the backyard.  Fionn enjoyed parceling out his Cheerios one by one and watching Duke dive for them.




I know, I know.  My boy needs himself a dog.

Of course, I'll have you know, it wasn't all fun and games between Dog and Kid. There was some unsolicited licking that took place.  And it wasn't pretty, people.  Not at all pretty.


Okay, okay, even that is pretty cute.  We'll consider a dog.  That's all I'm promising.

But back to Natchez.  Apart from our time on the porch, we also ate out at some of my favorite Natchez restaurants, rode a horse and buggy (sorry, camera battery was dead), and also hoofed it around an old Indian village where Fionn and Gaga enjoyed some QHH (Quality Hand Holding).  Too cute.


To sum up, the entire trip was great.  It definitely scratched my Mississippi "itch" and allowed Fionn some oh-so-precious time with his grandparents.  Thank you, Mom and Uncle Shelby, for hosting us in your lovely homes.  We are missing everyone already.

And now...For my next trick, stay tuned as we embark on a bona fide baby shower blitz -- two baby showers (well, one is a sip and see but same difference) on back-to-back Saturdays...at our house!  I think I can, I think I can.  No, in all seriousness, we are in good shape and can't wait to celebrate the happy new and soon-to-be parents! 

Until next time...




No comments:

Post a Comment