I should start by saying that my husband is obsessed with Christmas. Obsessed. He actually has a beef with Thanksgiving because he thinks that it steals the rightful thunder from Christmas. (BTW, as someone who once worked in retail, I would beg to differ.) Anyway, my husband is like a kid himself around the holidays. He gets so excited about the lights, the presents, the music, the movies. It's actually pretty cute. And it's definitely infectious. Here is a pic of our Christmas lights this year. We toned it down a bit from last year. Conor has a tendency to go a little Griswold on me, if you know what I mean. I'm trying to keep it classy, San Diego.
Another thing that's infectious? Being the Mama of a delightful little boy who is starting to notice the wonderment of Christmas. Don't get me wrong. Fionn definitely doesn't understand the whole Santa thing. Or the whole Mary, Joseph and Jesus thing. And the goodwill to men and peace on earth thing is completely lost on him, of course.
What he does understand, however, is that Christmas means cookies. Cookies at parties, cookies on display at the grocery, cookies being baked in the kitchen by Mama (these are the hardest to resist for my little guy). Oh, how Fionny loves himself some cookies. He refers to them as "coo-coos" and he has a one-track mind when it comes to them. We literally have to spell out the word "cookie" these days because as soon as we say the "C" word, it's all over. He is relentless. Relentless, I tell you.
Aside from Christmas cookies, Fionn has also enjoyed some of the special events that make up the holiday season in DC. The highlight so far as been the trains at the US Botanical Garden. Oh, the trains, the trains. They are, quite simply, incredible. If you live in the DC area...GO!! The buildings along the rails are made completely from natural materials (think twigs and plants), and it is really pretty amazing. The following photo really doesn't do it justice, but here goes anyway.
Fionny just loved running alongside the trains until they disappeared into a tunnel -- only to reappear again a few seconds later. His face just lit up with excitement, and it was just so much fun to be a witness to his joy. There is nothing quite like seeing your child experiencing pure happiness, is there? You just can't beat it.
Even better, we were able to share the experience with some of Fionn's best friends: Zach, James, and Casey (and their mommies, Clarissa and Hillary). These special friends live in our neighborhood, and we have the opportunity to get together on a weekly basis which has been so wonderful for Fionn (and for me). "Zach" is one of Fionn's favorite words now! Cute, right?
| Okay, I know they look extremely bored in this photo, but I swear the kiddos were loving it! |
Fionn and I also had the special treat of having breakfast with one of my dearest friends, Meg, and her beautiful daughter, Lexie. Meg and Lexie live in California, so we hardly ever get to see them. But last week they were in DC on business. Fionn and I trekked up to Baltimore for a little QT with these lovely ladies.
| Gorgeous ladies -- love them! |
| What can I say? My little guy likes the older ladies. |
| Cheesy Christmas display at Meg's hotel -- had to do it, right? |
That's it for now, folks. Just wanted to dash in, and say a quick "Merry Christmas!" I'll try to update again after our Tacky Christmas Sweater Party which takes place on Saturday. It's usually good for a few blog-worthy photos.
Cheers, and Happy Holidays!
No comments:
Post a Comment