Monday, October 17, 2011

Fionny From the Block

A year or so ago, Conor and I spent our free time at night scouring the real estate postings in search of our next house.  Our next neighborhood.  Our future.  We liked our house, but we had a lot of complaints about it.  Our neighborhood was okay, but it didn't feel like home.  We were searching for something that we felt we didn't have.  A sense of community, a neighborhood where Fionn could grow and thrive.  In our constant search, we looked at houses in the suburbs of Maryland, houses in the suburbs of Virginia, even rowhouses in other neighborhoods in DC.  Nothing seemed quite right, but we kept looking.  And looking.  And looking.

Then something happened.  Slowly but surely, our little neighborhood of Brookland started to feel like home. I found an amazing community of moms (and some dads) and got involved in some weekly neighborhood activities.  We remodeled our terrible little kitchen and got a new porch which doubled our enjoyment of our home.  Tripled even.  Over time we came to realize that all the things we were looking for in other neighborhoods in Maryland and Virginia...we already had in Brookland.  Fionny has a life here.  He has a community full of friends who know him and care about him.  We have nearby parks where Fionn can run and play.  We have tree-lined streets and local restaurants.  We have neighbors who are diverse, considerate, and care deeply about the welfare of their children. 

We have a life here.  And it is good. 

Grilling is also good, says Fionn.


I will stop my mushy neighborhood musings here, I promise  I just wanted to pay homage to the growing affection that I feel for my little imperfect-yet-fabulous community.  Plus, I've been dying to use the title "Fionny From the Block," and this gave me the ideal opportunity.  Haha!  J-Lo, eat your heart out! 

So...without further adieu, here are a few scenes from a week in the life of our Brookland Kiddo, otherwise known as S. Fionn Crimmins.   

Wagoning to the local fire station...

 ...where he got to sit in the fire truck! 

Playing in the playroom with his bud, Emre, who is a member of my playgroup co-op.

Reading The Three Little Pigs (a.k.a. Favorite Book Ever for our boy)

Feeding his real-life baby doll, his little buddy, Miles.
Of course, it's not all rainbows and seahorses over in Brookland.  There are still things that bother us about our neighborhood.  There is still crime.  There will probably always be crime.  And the public school situation can reduce me to tears if I really think about it too hard.  But right now we are enjoying the present.  It's a good thing sometimes, you know.  Just enjoying where you are. 
 

Carpe diem, my dear friends.  Carpe diem.





1 comment:

  1. I am so very happy to hear that you feel at home and have a sense of community in Brookland! Yes, the renovations transformed your home into amazing... but without that sense of community there's something missing. Nice that you don't have to keep searching (and, eek!, move!) to find it. :D

    ReplyDelete