I think there is at least one moment in every single day (usually many, many more) where I contemplate how very lucky I am to be living this life. You know that kind of moment? For me, these moments sneak up on me sometimes when I least expect them. I might be sitting in the sunshine reading a book or driving in my car running errands or watching my son stomp around the front porch in only his diaper. And it just...hits me like a ton of bricks. Happiness. Thankfulness. Joy.
I'm the first to admit that I'm not much of a religious person, but I think these are the moments that I feel closest to God or some sort of Higher Power. There is just such a certainty in my heart during these times that life is good, and I am lucky to be living it.
When I experience these moments, I tend to have a windfall of happy, optimistic thoughts and memories. Snapshots, if you will, of the wonderful blessings in my life. These thoughts tumble through my mind like sand through an hourglass. One after another after another. Until I feel that I could burst with joy.
Since Fionn's birth, many of these moments have revolved around him. The fact that he is happy and healthy. Thriving. Growing. Learning. Laughing. Oh, laughing so very, very much.
But within these moments of joy about my son and the wonderment of being his parent, there is an unspoken gratitude that I feel that I get to share him with a most amazing man.
I have often felt that I won the lottery when I met Conor in that fateful bar so many, many years ago. Who knew my love of boozing would lead me to the man of my dreams? Haha. Only kidding.
In all seriousness, I am eternally grateful to the establishment of Stetson's in DC for providing the backdrop for our meeting back in 2004. Who could ever have imagined that a relationship that was forged over draft beers and "Sweet Home Alabama" on the jukebox would turn out to be the most significant and wonderful relationship of my life?
But enough about our relationship. This post is really all about the incredible bond that I have the great honor of witnessing every day in my home. The relationship between my adorable tow-headed little boy and his father, my wonderful husband.
You can't teach the sort of parenting skills that I see in Conor. There is an ease and a confidence about his manner with Fionn that is simply marvelous to behold. First and foremost, there is his boisterous spirit and his sense of humor. Oh, he makes Fionn laugh like nobody else in this world can make him laugh. When Conor enters the room, you would think that someone just clicked on a light bulb inside my son's face because he just radiates happiness. And the best part? If you pan over to the face of my husband, you will see the exact same light radiating out. Conor adores his son. Adores him. It is such a joy to witness this kind of love. I feel so lucky to be a spectator to it.
Even more important than the laughter that Conor brings in spades to our son's life (and this is pretty darn important, mind you), there is the goodness. Ah, the goodness. Conor is, quite simply, a good man. He is selfless, compassionate, oh-so-loving, and loyal as the day is long. No one who knows him would dispute this. Those who know him well would shout it from the rooftops. Because he never would. It comes so naturally to him, you see.
It is my most heartfelt wish that my son will grow to be like his father. And that, my friends, is a wonderful wish to have.
Our neighbor, Brian Wirth, said to me recently, "When you are loved by your children, every day is Father's Day." Yeah, yeah. I'm sure that's true and all. But Fionn and I couldn't really get behind the idea of not celebrating our special guy. So we decided to make last Sunday a super-special day, as best as we could.
The day started with a special wake-up call by our very own S. Fionn Crimmins, mail carrier extraordinaire, who toddled into the bedroom with cards for the VIP of the day. I followed close on his heels with Conor's gift. Fionn was all-too-happy to help with the unwrapping process.
For Conor's Father's Day gift, I had the beautiful belt buckles of Mr. Crimmins (Conor's late father) placed into a handsome frame for Conor's office. Conor has possessed these belt buckles for many years, but they have just been sitting in a cabinet which is a shame because they are truly lovely. And so very special.
After Conor opened his gift and cards, we headed to breakfast at the Tastee Diner in Silver Spring. If there is one thing my special guy loves, it is a classic diner-style breakfast. He just loves it. That atmosphere, the food, the whole shebang. Fionn had the French toast sticks, and he seemed pretty happy too. Here is a pic of Conor feeding Fionn a little water from his drinking straw. Aw...our little hummingbird.
Oh but wait! I have left out an important part of this special holiday. Matching outfits! As if we wouldn't! It's Father's Day, for the sake of Pete!
After breakfast, we took a stroll around the neighborhood. Well, Conor and I strolled. Fionn...well, he had another mode of transportation. That's right. He drove his little sports car. Unfortunately, I neglected to get a picture. Darn it. But I did get a picture of this. Fionn running into his Dada's arms for a hug. So cute.
Of course, a Father's Day wouldn't be complete without some R&R for Dad. So Conor got to take a little afternoon snooze while the Bud and I just chilled up in the playroom. Later that evening, after Fionn was asleep, our fantastic neighbors babysat for the kiddo so I could take Conor out for beers and mussels at one of our favorite places, Brasserie Beck. It was a perfect cap on a wonderful day. We love you so much, Conor D! Happy Father's Day.
Awesome post, Casey... and I love the "Daddy and Me" outfits. Your menfolk have just enough cheek to pull it off. :)
ReplyDeleteHave a great 4th... and see you in two weeks!!!! (Yay!!)